Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Viva la Change

My new favorite word is "awesomesauce." I've seen it in a few places, which likely means that it's already lost its novelty and is uncool to use. Who cares? What a delightful combination of awesome and applesauce, which have alliteration and warm fuzzies going for them as a duo. Just thinking about my new word makes me smile. I had a similar happy reaction to"chillax" last year, though chillax doesn't quite have the same cuddly vibe as awesomesauce; it's more like a teenager than a cute preschooler. When I use these words in front of Rob he snorts and says "what?!" like I am too old to try for new vocabulary. But no one is too old to get a few new words, and we had better keep up; according to the website The Language Monitor http://www.languagemonitor.com/, there is a new (English) word created every 98 minutes. That's 14.7 new words every day! The times, the language, the technology - it's all changing, every day.

We know that things change, but do we believe that in our core and do we embrace it?  Change is uncomfortable, and in many polls, is the number one fear of human beings. But it is an unassailable part of life. It seems to me that by embracing change we free ourselves to look for the best of what is available right now, whereas when we cling to the old ways, we are really looking backward. When I embrace my wrinkles, sunspots, dietary and exercise restrictions, humble role as mom and wife, and amateur poet, I can really look around and make the best of the way things are. No wishing for something different or wanting to go back, just a firm desire to write every day and use the word awesomesauce in a sentence. Goal attained for the day! Hope it was as fun for you as it was for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment