Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The First 2014 Adventure: Flat Daniel

A perfect morning so far: slept in, memorized a new verse for meditation, took an hour walk in the newly fallen snow and soaked in a bath for an hour whilst devouring John Green's amazing book, The Fault in Our Stars. Get this: NO ONE bothered me during the entire bathing experience. That has to be a first. As an aside, John Green is quite the writer, and I have gulped down two of his books this week, the aforementioned best seller and Looking for Alaska, which is excellent though a trifle advanced for Aden, it's original intended reader.

But I digress! In between relaxing activities and preparing meals for my hungry brood, I picked up roughly 2,000 of those rainbow loom rubber band-its and put away three loads of wash. All this, my dear reader, was but a prelude to the main event of the day, my viewing of  the You Tube video: The Adventures of Flat Daniel. A bit of background knowledge before I send you to the link; Daniel's second grade class read a book about Flat Stanley, a two-sided character who went on adventures around the globe. His teacher created a marvelous assignment for which each 2nd-grader drew their own flat namesake and sent him / her to relatives in various locations throughout the US. Relatives then return the flat selves with photos or post cards from their locale. Daniel sent his Flat Daniel to my sister, Karen, who teaches a fourth-grade class in the Los Angeles area.

True to her creative genuis - y self, Karen took F.D. to school, to the beach, and then on a plane to visit my parents, brother James and SIL, Molly, in Polson, Montana, where all had gathered for the holidays. In a burst of brilliance no doubt enhanced by Schnappes and a wealth of free time, she produced this award-winning vehicle for F.D.'s adventures. I laughed, I cried, I hit replay. Here, for your viewing pleasure, is The Adventures of Flat Daniel: http://youtu.be/0VUcVST53SI.

2 comments:

  1. This made me SO HAPPY! Thanks to Aunt Karen, Flat Daniel, and all of Daniel's family. Miss you! Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you, too! Cliff's Edge Inn looks lovely on facebook. Hope to catch up soon?!

    ReplyDelete