Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Take That, Urban Dictionary

Yesterday I was a bumbling fool, stabbing my thumb with a pineapple while testing for ripeness (only a flesh wound), repeatedly opening every window and the sunroof of Rob's car while trying to unlock it with the remote, and forgetting half the items on my to-do list in the excitement of finishing Lois Lowry's The Giver (brilliant). To raise my morale and flagging spirits I recalled the triumphs of Thursday and coined a new term to describe mom-lobbyists - "Mommyist."  I'm going to send that to Urban Dictionary along with my favorite made-up word from Words with Friends: "Woad."  It means a "really wide road." It may also mean something else, but that's my working definition.

I particularly feel the need to shore up my mental defenses after running into the Fulbright scholar who works in Senator Mike Johnston's office. I had to look up the spelling of "Fulbright," while she could rattle off education policy decisions from various states and refer to books and authors that I've never heard of. As I walked away, shaking my head, I thought: "I used to be like that girl - she could be me, 20 years ago." What a downer to ponder this as I rooted around in my cavernous purse for a pen so I could jot down some of the references she threw out. (I never found a pen and had to borrow one from a friend.)  It seems that over a decade of child-rearing has melted my brain cells and they must run out of orifices while I sleep - or even during the day. Each time I wipe my nose I probably say good bye to hundreds of the little buggers! No wonder I can't remember what's for dinner. At least there's space now for a little creativity, and repeated emails to Urban Dictionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment