Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Friday, April 4, 2014

Albuquerque Again!

I put Aden and William on the team bus to Albuquerque (ABQ) this morning at 5:45. They saw their buddies and jumped out of the car, flashing me a wave as I hauled extra bananas to the luggage space, and then disappearing into the dimly lit interior. They are nervous, but they have each other and at least one good friend to sit with on the eight - hour trip, so they'll be able to compare notes on the antics of the 18 and Unders and coaches. We leave in an hour to follow them down in time for the first game this afternoon.

I read recently that kids in sports need to hear only three things from parents: Have fun, Play hard, and I love you. So that's what I told them last night at dinner, at bedtime, this morning on the bus, and via text message. I don't know how they'll play - it's a complicated sport and they are new to it - but if they have fun, the mission will be accomplished. What a great opportunity for them to be a  part of a team, feel like an athlete, and be on their own for a safe and short time. As for me, I'm off down I 25 for the third time in six months; at least it's all "downhill"!

No comments:

Post a Comment