Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Resurrection Eyes

"The Bible is not a script for a funeral service, but it is the record of God always bringing life where we expected to find death. Everywhere it is the story of resurrection."
-Eugene Peterson

The aftershocks of Easter continue, registering an "8" on my internal theology scale and a "10" on the actual scale, mostly due to the number of MnM ' s consumed. It seems that the coordination of the holy day, the weather, and Sunday's sermon have piqued my curiosity and desire to grow. Our interim Pastor, Rev. Phil Amerson, told us on Easter that "we spend too much time wandering from the cross to the tomb" in life and not enough time beholding events through "Resurrection eyes." That made me think about a conversation I had with friends on a long walk last Saturday, when one commented that there is plenty of light in the world if we only had eyes to see it.

This train of thought barrels through my consciousness at least four times a day now. When I went to Vitamin Cottage and spent twenty minutes in front of the shampoos and conditioners looking for one that was gluten free, I felt irritated before remembering to be thankful for the store, the GF options, and the resources to buy them. When the kids painted their Easter gift bird houses and got paint on the table, then planted the strawberry seeds and got dirt all over the floor, I focused on their enthusiasm and their unusual and prized teamwork in both endeavors.

It helps that spring is in full flower, and "The force that through the green fuse drives the flower/ Drives my green age" (Dylan Thomas, "The force that through the green fuse drives the flower.") I feel younger and life feels full of promise. There were many days in the past few years when I could not see the promise, could not have Resurrection eyes, but fortunately I had friends and family who shared their superior vision with me. They provided their faith and optimism to light my fuse when I had no fuel left. I think that is our job as people of faith and joy, to keep our Resurrection eyes open and share our vision with those in need of sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment