Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

In a Tizzy

The wind bangs unknown objects against the upstairs window and our blossoming trees sadly watch as they are denuded of their pale pink and red petals. I don't know what it is about this time of year, but the whirl inside my brain matches the maelstrom outside. Today I juggled a practice GRE exam, a response to today's Denver Post editorial, and countless scheduling emails. I've already dropped the ball on the student store and a doctor's appointment and nearly missed carpool duty for this afternoon. So far I haven't dropped any of the fragile, "glass" balls of friends, family or health, but a good gust might blow them right out of my hands. I'm not alone in pushing through the storm of springtime; we're all in a transition phase when multiple seasons and activities overlap, mixing old routine tasks with wild new challenges.

Which brings me back to the GRE practice test. That sucker is LOOONG, let me tell you, and it took me over 24 distracted and interrupted hours to finish. I wonder if I can pull together enough focus and mental energy to complete an actual test in just four hours? With questions like "if y = 2g-4(-8) and g=8y+4, what is y-g?"  I doubt it (I just made that question up, by the way, I dare you to solve it). A question more relevant to my life looks like this: "If all three kids have swim practice and Daniel has a doctor appointment and Aden has a sax lesson and Rob and Laura have Meet Manager training then  . . . A. no one will eat dinner B. Aden won't have a ride home from her lesson C. all three kids will freeze to death since it's only 48 degrees or D. all of the above.

But I must conclude, as William needs to get to an ortho appointment and clothes need to move from laundry baskets to drawers before they are covered up by their dirty brothers and sisters. I wonder if baseball will be cancelled given the hurricane-force winds? The precarious throw - and - catch of the second-grade team cannot afford to be even more unbalanced. Only repeated email checks will tell . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment