Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

We're Creative, Not Messy

"You didn't let me finish, because I died."
- Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie

That's my favorite line from the Lego Movie (http://www.thelegomovie.com/), because I can vividly saying this postmortem as my children argue on, undaunted, over who will eat the last gluten-free bagel. There are a number of fabulous one-liners in this 95-minute commercial for Lego and unfettered creativity. My youngest is singing the ubiquitous theme song, "Everything is Awesome," as he puts on his shoes for school. He was begging me to download this song the minute we left the theater, but I think I'll hold off until the repetitive lyrics fade from memory.

I did like the messaging around the beauty of "messy" creativity and the idea that everyone is special with his/her own valuable ideas.  Will Farrell is great as the type - A businessman father who loathes his children messing up his orderly Lego city, one who super-glues the structures so not a brick will be out of place. Any parent can see the conflict inherent in that scenario, but the movie does a great job of showing a kid's point of view.

My kids split to their respective Lego domains the minute we walked in the door last night, and created brand - new ships, spacecraft, and supervillains. Though I foresee even more Lego sets in our future, the movie was at least supportive of the messy, disorganized and directionless manner in which we store our hundreds of multi-colored bricks. Instead of a mess, we'll just call it creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment