Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

What's Inside

Today I learned that I have toxic levels of lead and mercury in my system, with high levels of cadmium as well. Strangely, arsenic also makes an appearance - though it's "within reference" (whatever that means - is there a proper reference for arsenic?), I wonder if Rob is just sick and tired of me and started 'seasoning' my food with poisonous elements?  Anyway, the treatment for getting rid of the metals is to go through chelation therapy, roughly translated 10 sessions of about 1.5 hours each with an IV of the chelating agent pouring into your veins. It's a big time commitment, but not painful, and at least I don't have to collect urine afterward. Carrying your own 2-liter jug of urine can be quite awkward and cumbersome, as I found two weeks ago when I dragged it to the gym and to Daniel's testing office. There's not a cute bag on the market for urine collection!

Hopefully I can get some work done while hooked to the IV. Today I only chatted away with the nurse/receptionist at the office; we're good friends now that I've spent a significant portion of the last year in those confines. But I do get to do some reading and I wanted to share a great quote from a new book on meditation:

"Compared to the immense capacity for spiritual awareness latent in the human being, the great majority of us can almost be said to be living in our sleep - dreaming that if only we could have a million dollars, win the Nobel Prize, get our portrait on the cover of TIME, or marry the screen star of the day, we would be happy. This is like chasing the horizon, because happiness does not lie outside us. It can only be found within - a most elusive realm which the modern world, with its overwhelming emphasis on sensory experience, has effectively  hidden from our view."

-Eknath Easwaran, Passage Meditation


No comments:

Post a Comment