Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Friday, January 17, 2014

A balanced approach

I saw this poster at Arapahoe Community College on Wednesday night, after I dropped the children off at water polo. Here are the three items they list as guidelines:

1. Accepting and respecting the natural diversity of body sizes and shapes
2.Eating that values pleasure and honors hunger and satiety.
3. Finding the joy in moving one's body.

 I love its measured, balanced approach to fitness and health. So many times our culture tells us we are "too much" or "not enough" with regard to our bodies, and I have allowed those voices to live inside my head. Whenever I start to get harsh with myself with regard to my body (which will never again look as long and lean as it did when I was running 30 + miles each week), I am going to remember the words of this poster and honor my choices each day.

On an even happier note, Aden and I are off to visit my sister, Karen, in Los Angeles. You may remember Karen from the Flat Daniel video or the hilarious fan letter to JK Rowling (http://wildspecifictangent.blogspot.com/2013/09/absolutely-hilarious-guest-writer.html), both posted previously on Wild Specific Tangent.  I look forward to seeing her new condo, taking good walks on the beach, perhaps a movie, and general hilarity. Who knows what literary greatness could come out of this meeting of the minds?!  Stay tuned . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment