Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Friday, January 3, 2014

Re- Solutions

I need a couple of re-solutions for 2014 in key areas of my life. Foremost among these are: children putting on clean underwear and socks each day, children brushing twice daily and flossing at least once per day, and last but not least, preventing the dirty clothes from mating like bunnies and the socks from immigrating. I had thought that daily changes of socks and underwear were a given in the household, but apparently the boys did not get that memo. I discovered my error when peeling Daniel's five-day-old socks from his amazingly stinky feet (his feet had been bathed several times in that period, but the socks were resurrected from the laundry basket on the sly). I recruited Rob and the two of us made it abundantly clear that regular bathing and clean underclothes are required for continued residence under this roof.

After that re-solution, I took all three children to the dentist. Just as I filled with self-congratulation for getting all of the kids in for a cleaning on a non-school day, the hygienist emerged with a look of condemnation. You know the look; it's the devastatingly accusatory stare that says, "if you don't start getting your kids to floss, I'm calling in the feds."  I had thought that just having the floss on the bathroom counter would be sufficient encouragement for the children to start up their habit, but apparently I misread the situation. So my re-solution is to painstakingly guide each child through the process in the evening  until they get it right. Sheesh. I didn't even start flossing until I was 39, so I thought we were ahead of the game!

Lastly, I  need a re-solution for the dirty clothes. I hate to sound judgmental, but the dirty clothes at our house are just - well - slutty. The jeans get with the shirts and the sweatshirts roll around with the pajamas and suddenly there are five new families of dirty clothing just demanding to be washed. I wish the immigrating socks balanced out the equation, but alas, they only leave me with the odd singles, who mope about their dating status and develop holes.  I don't have any re-solutions for this problem - please contact me with any thoughts or recommendations.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Very funny! I particularly liked the description of your promiscuous laundry. And the poor socks, bereft in their singledom. Perhaps you could set up an E.Harmony account for them or maybe set up a mixer? -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your laundry comments! Does sorting pose another problem? Way to go with the brushing and flossing-I see those shiny teeth from here!!!!!❤️Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback. I'll try washing and drying the singletons together - that should provide plenty of mixing and the (static) electricity should build right up! If it fails to produce pairings, I'll set up an EHarmony account. Single wool sock in good condition seeks mate of same. No holes, sagging, or excessive scent, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute description! It is indeed a good habit to floss everyday and visit dentist in every 6 months.

    ReplyDelete