Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

God and Perfectionism

"Excellence is a wonderful goal but it can turn into something driven and idolatrous when it becomes about achieving flawlessness or maintaining a certain exterior. Perfectionism can stem from a wrong view of God’s character (conscious or unconscious). If we on some level believe God is a harsh, demanding God, constantly finding fault, needing to be appeased, we will serve Him fearfully, convinced what we produce will never satisfy Him. This driving perfectionism robs us of the joy of relationship and serving Him."
- Youth With A Mission, Perth, Australia http://www.ywamperth.org.au/articles/four-cures-perfectionism/

It's hard to believe that God likes messy. Yet when God made us, the "very good" exclamation point on the story of Creation, God made a whole lot of little messes. I'm basing that on my own experience; please don't be offended.  Growing up, I heard the message, "be perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:44 - 48) and thought that meant flawless. As I grew and recognized the large and small flaws that shaped me, I also became ashamed. I tried to look as 'perfect' as possible on the outside, with grades, sports, and activities, but I knew the real story, and I did not want to own up to it.

Religion has done a lot of damage in this way. The pastors at our church remark on how we dress up to go to service and put on our good clothes and Sunday faces. Often, we don't want to admit weakness or ask for help, because we don't want folks to see the real darkness in our lives. Our teaching pastor told me a story of one family that had two parents with broken bones - and three small children. When he went to ask if the family needed anything the father waved him away, "Oh no, we're good here," he said. Our pastor was astounded, and he was so surprised that folks would put on that show at church. I'm not surprised - church is a place where I learned I was supposed to be real good - even perfect. When I was ill last year, only the desperate state of my mind and soul kept me going to church, walking past the kind but shocked faces of all who saw me.

But if we can believe that God creates, and takes joy in creation, not perfection, can we not only feel loved and blessed but also that we can create? And in creating works of art that cannot be graded, boxed in, judged by any standard rubric, that we can escape perfectionism?

No comments:

Post a Comment