Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Nature of Reality

I just got off the phone with my wonderful spiritual director, Dominie, and feel compelled to share a few of her wise nuggets. First, she reminded me that when we want things to be different from how they are, we suffer. I want my calendar to be less full and my health to be equal to when I was in my early 20's - so I suffer. By expecting to maintain the health and stamina of a much younger person without genetic autoimmune issues I am going against the nature of my reality, and that will only lead to stress and anxiety.

The good news: I can develop positive intentions that work with reality. I can respect my body and its natural limitations so that I can live in a state of health. I can examine my heart each day and determine what has the most meaning and importance, and what can be dropped from the to-do list. In some cases, I can leverage my energy and get a two-for-one, as in, I can spend time with my husband so that our self-nurture / alone time in turn creates a happier and healthier environment for the children.

Reality is a big mother-f*****, and if I take it on, I won't win. To see clearly is difficult; we have to wipe the fog of wishful thinking out of our eyes and sharpen the lenses of our truth-telling glasses. But when we see clearly and acknowledge reality, we can make things happen, or - even better - we can be the still point of the turning world.

No comments:

Post a Comment