Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Don;t Set Out to Save the World

"We don’t set out to save the world; we set out to wonder how other people are doing and to reflect on how our actions affect other people’s hearts."
-          -Pema Chodron

I did set out to save the world. I was younger then, and didn’t know better. At first I wanted to stamp it, make my permanent mark, and then I wanted to save it. Now I just want to inhabit my own microcosmic slice of this big pie. My slice is strawberry-rhubarb today, sweet and sour, tangy and tart. I hope  my actions sweeten or warm your  plate and never detract from the full flavor of life.

PS – Thank you for the wonderful words of support regarding poetry and writing sent in response to my poem. You opened and strengthened my heart and bolstered me through a day of recovery from the stomach flu. What a welcome break from disinfecting, washing sheets and warming 7Up. Yesterday would have been  much more sour if not for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment