Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

For What Did I Take This Life?

I wrote this in response to a prompt from my spiritual director. Just another way of asking the existential question, "why are we / am I here?"  but the phrasing seemed to open me up to a different way of thinking.

A Domine

For what did I take this life?
To love God
Wherever I find God in me, in you,
In that which is hardest and heaviest and
In that which is light and joy-filled.

To express delight
When joy bubbles up in recognition of
Truth or beauty, in relationships or in
The outrageous pageant of the natural world.

To create things of enduring
Truth and beauty: my family, poetry,
Music and dancing, or opportunities to access these
For all who lack.

To share God, joy, creativity
In all the breadth of my activities,
In teaching, caring and enduring,

This day and every day that remains to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment