Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Sunday, December 21, 2014

We are Also God-bearers

We read about the Annunciation in church today, picturing again a startled and fearful young Mary responding to the angel of God, who tells her that she will bear the son of God. Reverend Mark told us that in the Greek Orthodox Church Mary is revered, and called "Theotokos," or God-bearer.  Then he read these amazing words from Meister Eckhart regarding theotokos:

"We are all meant to be mothers of God. What good is it to me if this eternal birth of the divine Son takes place unceasingly but does not take place within myself? And what good is it to me if Mary is full of grace if I am not also full of grace? What good is it to me for the Creator to give birth to his Son if I also do not give birth to him in my time and my culture? This, then, is the fullness of time. When the Son of God is begotten in us."

-Meister Eckhart, 14th century German Dominican monk (birthing-god-the-feast-of-the-annunciation, Michael K. Marsh)

 When I found the Eckhart quote on Marsh's website, I also found his commentary: "Eckhart’s questions invite us to see humanity, and not Bethlehem, as the true birthplace of God," and my eyes were opened yet again to the miracle of Christmas. Christ is born in us this day and every day, and we must reveal him in this year of 2014, in our 21st century culture. God chose us, lowly and scarred, faulty and frail, to bring forth and celebrate his essence, to choose joy and hope and love. Blessed was Mary, and blessed are we.   

No comments:

Post a Comment