Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

As Promised, the Gift Card Rant

As I ponder those “olden days, happy golden days of yore,” I seem to remember Christmas lists that weren’t name brand specific, that did not include dollar amounts or gift cards.  We hunted for particular objects that might excite our loved ones, didn’t settle for dollars at their favorite store.  Gift cards seem like the lazy person’s guide to Christmas, and they erase the element of mystery and surprise that I used to feel around the holidays.  I admit to loving them for their ease and swift satisfaction, especially when I’m shopping for fifteen teachers, four coaches, and all of the garbage/recycling/paper delivery gentlemen. Didn’t our parents have all of the same craziness? And yet they managed without resorting to plastic cash.

I know that many of yester-year’s gifts were misses that had us searching for the gift receipt so we could make a return or exchange. Some were hideous and receipt-less, which led us to the donation bin or the storage area, in hopes that next year’s white elephant party would claim them.  Yet, some risky gifts are the best ever; no risk, no reward, right? My mom once scoured all of southern Michigan looking for Cabbage Patch dolls for her five children, and I still remember that present thirty-five years later.


These elements of thoughtfulness and surprise are missing from the gift card exchange. My son thinks he wants the money, but I know he wants a few surprises under the tree – things that I choose for him that he didn’t even know he wanted. It’s risky, potentially disappointing or even painful (when the whining starts), but the upside makes a little risk bearable. Those golden days of yore had a little something more, at least when it came to gift giving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment