Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

A Purple Streak

I emerged from my haircut this morning with a “natural” plum purple swath through my bangs. When I left my workout this morning to head to the salon I wasn’t planning for purple, but a rebellion erupted when I saw my hairstylist’s funky new space and glowing blond highlights.  I love it, though I can’t anticipate the response of my husband and kids.

If I’m being honest with myself I can identify the birthplace(s) of my rebellion.  I saw my nutritionist and biomeridian practitioner last week and she gently informed me that I should be on the Paleo diet again, really watching my sugar intake. Warnings about my sugar intake always get my back up!  And then we had a few recent mornings when I had cleaned cat throw-up from multiple places, done laundry and made three breakfasts by 7:30 am.  Though I love the cat, I do not enjoy cleaning both the litter box and the vomit prior to my first cup of coffee.

The cat has also made watering the Christmas tree nearly impossible. We wrapped the trunk in a plastic tablecloth and duct taped it together so that Rex couldn’t bathe in the water in the tree stand. Rob also poured a small bag of orange rind into the water on the off chance that the citrus smell would deter the cat. Nope – now we just have a pine-and-citrus-scented Christmas tree.  I wouldn’t mind these efforts except that I have to go through contortions and re-tape the tree each time I need to add more water.


Rex also tipped over a vase and broke a special set of coasters from India yesterday; his stock was way down by the evening. Despite his transgressions, I think he’ll make the Christmas card, and possibly even the holiday letter. His Dr. Hyde moments more than make up for his Jekyll moments; I just hope the family feels the same way about me after they catch my new purple streak.

No comments:

Post a Comment