Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Monday, January 23, 2017

Signs and Chants from the March

For those who were unable to march on Saturday and would like a window into the atmosphere, I have made a list of chants and signs from the Washington DC gathering and others. There were many commonalities between the different marches, but I'm sure I've missed some favorites. If you have a slogan or chant that you want to add to my list, please respond! We will need to continue the protest as the administration gets in gear.  My brother asked me if there were themes at the rally, and I think you will see them in the signage . I've tried to group them into rough categories.

Chants  and Call / respond:

Love Trumps Hate

My body, my choice (women)
Her body, her choice (men)

Tell me what democracy looks like
This is what democracy looks like!

What do we want?
- Critical thinking
When do we want it?
- Now!

Show me what a feminist looks like,
This is what a feminist looks like!

We want a leader, not a creepy tweeter....

Signs

Love
I'm here for the kids.
Love not hate makes America great.
Protect what you love.
I love my Muslim neighbor.
Make America kind again.
Love your neighbor.
Love is love is love.
Stronger together.
A people united can never be divided.

Women's Rights / Human Rights
#Resisterhood
Men who defend women are cool, men who defend women's rights are HOT.
Strong men welcome equality.
Women's rights are human rights.
Black Lives Matter.
I'm with her (arrows everywhere).
My liberty is bound up with yours.
I will stand with the most vulnerable.
Power to the girls.
No hate, no fear, everyone is welcome here/ immigrants are welcome here.
We all make America great.
Respect everyone.
To all the girls watching this right now: never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving      of every chance in the world.

Struggle 
Respect existence or expect resistance / Respeta mi existencia o expecta resistancia.
A woman's place is in the resistance.
We shall overcome.
Fight like a girl.
We're not sorry for the inconvenience, we're trying to save humanity.
We won't give up, we won't give in.
Silence is violence.
They tried to bury us - they didn't know we were seeds.
I'm no longer accepting the things I cannot change, I'm changing the things I cannot accept.
I'm not usually a sign guy, but jeez.
Stay woke.
Protest is patriotic.

Earth justice / Climate change
Put the P back in EPA.
Science is real.
Protect/love your mother.
Destroy the patriarchy not the planet.
Planet over profits.

Health Care and Reproductive health / Choice / Fund Planned Parenthood
There were signs for reproductive rights which co-opted a word that President Trump unfortunately used in an Access Hollywood interview that came to light during the campaign. This theme was major, and though I respect the marchers and this theme of health care, reproductive rights, and choice, I am not going to list all of the signs here (it's a family blog).

Additional signs were held up for health care, for the popular vote difference in favor of Clinton, to end voter suppression and for jobs (UAW).  John and all, I hope you get a sense of the themes of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment