Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Friday, January 13, 2017

Preparing for a Protest

A week from today I'll be on a plane to Washington DC with my good friend and partner-in-crime, Heidi. Eyes gritty from a 0-dark-thirty wakeup, hearts pounding at the thought of navigating Inauguration-Day Metro traffic and crowded streets, we will nevertheless be tingling with anticipation for the Women's March on January 21st.

Though more starched, dark-blue-liberal than bleeding-heart-hippie, I've been to a few protests in my time, even practicing chants and poster waving earlier this week at the Denver offices of our Colorado senators. But I've never been part of a moving organism composed of several hundred thousand people. I don't know if I feel prepared or scared when I look at this list of suggestions emailed by my friend Allison (also going):

- Bring hand /foot warmers, everyone needs ID, and as few backpacks as possible
- Each of you should bring a small square of corrugated cardboard that you will stand on. 
- Get "warming passes" to go into a federal building on the March route to get warm and use bathrooms. Most places won't let marchers in and the lines for the museums will be insane with protesters trying use the bathroom and warm up.
-Food trucks are best bet on Sat during day- there aren't many restaurants
-Cash only.


So bring cash and ID and heavy boxes, don't drink anything / don't plan to go to the bathroom, wear a sash over a coat and don't buy the T-shirts that will be covered up by  multiple layers of clothing. Prepare for verbal attacks by  opposing forces by planning peaceful, smiling response and held up phone with Facebook Live on play. 

When Mom expressed safety concerns, Dad texted me that as a student at Georgetown University in the 60's, he had the chance to  hear MLK's speech at the Lincoln Memorial, but didn't attend due to his reservations about crowds and safety. He said he's never stopped regretting that decision, and  I should definitely attend the March in 2017. So I am, and so we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment