Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Not Bad for An Aging Bod

I swam in the Colorado state Masters meet a week or so ago, wiggling into a borrowed "fast" suit and testing my shoulders on a dive from the blocks.  I swam the fifty free next to a nationally known freestyler (who specializes in distance swimming) and tied her in a time that came close to my routine high school results. Not the shaved-and-tapered times, but the casual I'm-worn-down-mid-season times.

When I looked to the scoreboard and saw my result I felt a balloon of lightness lift from my chest and float into the air, releasing a big grin on the way. Not bad for a forty-five-year-old! The kids and Rob came to watch me swim the 100 backstroke the next day, which was obviously longer and more difficult. I ran out of breath, blowing snot and spray from my nose after every airless flip turn, but kept thinking of the kids watching and tried to kick my way to the wall. I was delighted when I saw my time and realized that I could have qualified for high school's Centennial A Leagues.

Racing within shouting distance of my high school times released me from feeling 'less than,' a feeling that I've held subconsciously since my serious illness a few years ago. Returning to racing after ten years also reminded me that I won't be able to touch my best times now, that the "kid times" as we call them in the Masters world, are not the goal. The goal is to stay healthy and active and have fun.  That should have been the goal all along, but hey, better late than never.

Only one problem: the meet and enthusiastic workouts following (I was so excited to return to training) shredded my shoulders, which kept me awake several nights with muscle spasms and throbbing. My body reminding me of its age and use kept me out of the pool for the past week. So I plot my return today with new balance, my plan just to keep everything in working order, enjoying what capabilities I have left and no longer feeling at all sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment