Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Viral Musings

I woke up two days ago with a left eye the color of pink lemonade, a goopy pillow case, and a voice like the menacing secretary from Monsters, Inc. - low, scratchy and sinister-sounding (Mom, Dad, that's why I haven't called - sorry!) Just pile the enterovirus on the bandwagon of things to do this last week of school along with award ceremonies, retirement parties, thank you gifts, practices and games. This morning Aden asked "What exciting thing we were doing tonight?" ready to get dressed up for the third time in a week and present a project, receive an award, or party.

Fortunately we don't have anything this evening, but we did enjoy a lovely 8th grade awards ceremony yesterday at the kids' middle school. Aden received an ASPIRE award from her eighth grade core teachers for exemplifying school values and also an award for being on the honor roll all 12 quarters. Many of the neighborhood girls and boys were recognized, too, so it was a special hour in the fine arts auditorium at Creek, where they will all start high school in August.

I described the scene to Rob when the kids were at swim practice, and after discussing our daughter's accomplishments, I heard myself whine, "I used to be smart, too. I used to win awards like that!" Rob heroically through himself into the void and insisted that I was still smart.  But I'm not - not in the same way. I used to understand electricity and magnetism, factor polynomials, run science experiments and conduct research products. Now the aging hard drive is too full of schedules, grocery lists, recipes and therapies - it's rebooted and erased much of what I used to know.

That's why I sit here writing - clinging to the last slightly academic activity that I can perform. I've vowed to make more time to write this summer, though I don't know yet where the time will come in long summer days with kids. Add to lack of empty hours my fear of unproductively sitting still, and the task of writing looms like the Warped Wall from American Ninja Warrior . But for now I'll table the task, take my antivirals and go muse with closed eyelids on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment