Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Monday, October 6, 2014

Highlights and the High Life

I've read that the music of our teen years packs the greatest emotional wallop. The soundtrack for my junior and senior years leans heavily on the music of Steve Winwood and includes tracks from his Arc of a Diver, Back in the High Life,  and Roll With It albums. I was thrilled from my hooded head to my wool socked toes when Winwood played at Red Rocks last Wednesday. Despite the 45-degree temperature and a steady drizzle, my eyes were glued to the petite British musician as he rewarded my decades of fan-dom by playing "Back in the High Life" and "Higher Love."  I never thought I would hear Winwood play live, let alone at my favorite venue in the known universe. It was a bucket-list experience.

Winwood opened for Tom Petty, who always puts on a great show, but the drizzle turned into a downpour which was highlighted by the gigantic spotlights panning out from the stage. We would not have noticed the cold rain had it not been for the lights, because we were breathing in ginormous clouds of second-hand pot (gives new meaning to the phrase 'high life'). I was a bit shocked to see my own exhalations floating on the breeze, forgetting that the night was cold enough to crystallize a even a pot-free outbreath.

Last week also brought the gift of a frosty morning mountain hike with friends. Our feet slipped on heavy frost and fallen leaves as we tried to step lightly over the mud. Lost in conversation, we almost passed elk without seeing them, but were lucky enough to catch the bushy red tail of a fleeing fox, his black feet and white-tipped tail bright against a great grey rock. The week ended with Rob's annual epicurean adventure at Beer Fest and then a wonderful family day at home, beginning with church in the morning and ending with a long cuddle session on the couch. Such are the highlights of a busy autumn week.


No comments:

Post a Comment