Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Homecoming

Heidi, Dina and I went down to Eagle Lake yesterday to retrieve our kids. I say kids, though I really couldn't stop thinking of them as my babies. Turns out they had a fantastic time, already signed up to pre-register for next year, and suffered little, if any, homesickness. I was thrilled but also shoved off balance by the realization that they did better than I did with the absence.

"There was a lot of God" at the camp, they said, though Aden, William and Adam (in my car) all enjoyed the spiritual focus and rituals. My two insisted on changing the way we say grace at dinner, moving from a rote non-specific ritual prayer to "real praying" by a member of the family. Aden led off last night. And all three campers recited some of the Bible verses they memorized as part of the cabin competition. William said Matthew's verses on the Beatitudes, which moved me to tears as I drove along the dirt road towards Pike's Peak.

They grow in arrhythmic leaps - moving five giant steps closer to adulthood in five days. Hopefully we will have a little static stretch ahead to give me and the rest of the family time to catch up before everyone goes back to school and gets stretched in other directions. My prayer is that they maintain this closer relationship to God and that our family grows in ability to support them and develop its own connections, keeping pace with their needs and moving toward the same goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment