Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Mandela

Mandela's memorial service takes place today. The government expects over 90,000 people in the stadium, with up to 200,000 watching from screens around Johannesburg. In honor of a great man, I want to share some of his words that read like prose poems and inspire the human spirit.

I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one’s head pointed toward the sun, one’s feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death.
For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.
As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.
There is no such thing as part freedom.
If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing those quotes. I knew Mandela lived a powerful life, but I didn't know his writing was equally impactful. The one that struck me the most was the quote about resentment-a lesson to live by.-Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was absolutely amazing. A teacher for the world. So glad you got to read some of his words!

    ReplyDelete