Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Friend and IV Therapy

I've been blessed in the last two days to catch up with lovely friends whose paths have not intersected mine for some months. In laughing with them and loving them, catching up on their health and their family's doings, I am transported to a better place. If by healing we are connected to a sense of wholeness and one-ness, then certainly friendship is a strong recipe for healing.

Surprisingly, I was also connected with a fellow patient at the doctor's office, where I received an IV of vitamins and minerals to help nerves heal and regenerate. I had texted my regular doctor last week, when my right ear and the right side of my head started to hurt again. This new / resurgent issue, combined with the ongoing scalp irritation had sent me back to searching for solutions (especially non-drug therapy). My doctor advocated for getting the Meyer's intravenous treatment, which is heavy on the B vitamins, including B1, 2, and 3 which are often missing from a standard vitamin.

So here I am in the comfy armchair with my arm in a heating pad, waiting for an IV. I am deep-breathing to control my irritation at being forty-five minutes late and having to cancel my haircut appointment (truly  no harm to me as I naturally hate getting my hair cut these days, but so inconvenient to my poor stylist), when in walks Susan. She's flamboyantly dressed from her blond/red coif to her black and gold ballet slippers, and she has a perfume on, and she is outgoing to the max, immediately starting up a conversation with the doctor who is mixing the vitamins in my IV bag.

I literally buried my head in my book on meditation, trying to pretend that I was alone and quiet. Yet my ears perked up when she mentioned that she had had surgery two weeks ago, and when the doctor left, I asked her about it. I won't go into personal details here, but she has had a four-year medical journey through cancer, surgeries, radiation, and recovery. We spoke about meditation (which she practices with Deepak Chopra each day) and about yoga, which we both passionately love. We talked about using breathing to calm our bodies and about confronting our mind, which blows up fear like a clown blowing up balloons. When I left, we wished each other well on our journey, and I felt much enriched by the whole experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment