Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Consecration

"Baptism consecrates us and consecration is a conscriptive rope that takes us to where we would rather not go, namely, into that suffering that produces maturity." - Ronald Rolheiser, The Holy Longing: The Search for a Christian Spirituality

I read that passage during my lunch hour at the Museum of Nature and Science yesterday and went into an underlining frenzy, no doubt startling the guests dining nearby. Rolheiser (www.ronrolheiser.com) explains his concept in detail, noting that consecration "means to set aside, to displace from ordinary usage, to derail from normalcy" . He offers the example of a pedestrian witnessing a mugging right in front of him, or a family on the way to dinner slamming on the brakes as a catastrophic car accident occurs right in their path. These folks are now consecrated and conscripted to act by their awareness, their proximity, and their values; as Rolheiser puts it, "your perfectly legitimate agenda has to be suspended, not because it is wrong, but because something higher has literally usurped your freedom".

We all want to think we would act quickly and heroically in those instances, that we would instantly respond to the need of the victim, and yet history shows us that the majority of bystanders refrain from getting involved. Like the priest and the Levite in the story of the Good Samaritan, we have our own agendas, our own well-thought-out reasons for absenting ourselves from a crime scene, an accident, an argument. I realize that I have been consecrated a few times in the past, for smaller incidents, and I have evaded my conscription. I would like to try to build up my consecration muscles, so that I will not fail in the future.

I saw inspiring examples of women and mothers who were consecrated to action in the film "9500 Liberty", which I viewed this past Sunday. (Visit http://www.9500liberty.com/). After Prince William County,VA, passed a law that required police to check a person's documents if they showed "probable cause" of being undocumented, many persons of color left, others retreated from public life, and the local economy and housing market pitched into the doldrums. Stunned by the hatred on one person's blog, and by the terrible results for families who left and families who stayed, several brave mothers joined a coalition to fight back against the resolution, which was eventually defeated. They risked their reputation and personal safety to testify in board meetings, and to start their own blog countering the hateful messages already online, but they decided to do what was right.

I hope I would act like these mothers and others who stood up for love and acceptance in the face of hatred, fear, and anger. Fortunately I am in training for consecration; I am a mother. Rolheiser points out - and I agree with him - that the family home is a training ground for parents, who must learn how to give up their own agendas, goals, and comfort for the sake of their children. He notes that by the time the children have all grown up, the parents will hopefully - and finally - be mature. I believe that is true in general, and hope that it is true for me. I know it has been difficult for me to give up my personal 'legitimate' agendas for those of my children and family. I know that I am sometimes resentful and self-absorbed, but I believe I am making some progress. I would love to know if readers had any examples of being consecrated by certain events in their lives, either through religious ties or through proximity or family relationships. Blessings, Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment