Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Just Words

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

That is a lie. I never realized how hurtful a lie it was until this week, when I saw a girl on TV react to being called "queer." Words hurt; they can twist your insides, hammer through your mind, change your perception of yourself. Words can be hard to forget, hard to shake loose, like a burr stuck to your wool hiking sock. Two nights ago I found my junior high year book while cleaning an old bookshelf. Some of the faded, loopy, handwritten entries contained my least favorite label, which was "smack." It was applied to kids in advanced classes, and was sometimes offered in the form of an offhanded compliment, but the underlying implication was "weird, uncool, not fun to hang out with." I worry now for my kids and the labels that will be thrown at them. I hear through the grapevine that some of the kids on the elementary school playground may have tossed out "you are too smart to play with." I don't know what was said or who the target was, but I think, 'and so it begins.'

Of course we can overcome our labels, work through heated discussions and redefine ourselves. But this takes work, and the process can hurt. One of the best pieces of advice I ever read on marriage was to think very carefully before you spoke to your spouse. Don't let anything out of your mouth that you will want to take back. I'm a bit scattered these days, and forget anything that's not written on a sticky note and pasted in front of me at the table, but I have never forgotten that piece of advice, and my husband and I really try to live by it. It takes a long time to forget hurtful words, as we all know by this point in our lives.

Words can also lift us up, define our sense of self through cultural reflections or reactions, restatements of universal truths, and works of spiritual guidance. The tremendous uproar over the pastor in Florida who wanted to burn the Koran caught my attention. Words printed on a page; it seems so simple. Yet the symbolism is powerful enough to change - even end - lives. I just read a quote that cogently addresses the topic of book-burning: "There, where one burns books, one in the end burns men."
(Heinrich Heine). Words should be respected for both the good and the harm they can accomplish, and for how dear they are to the hearts of men, and women, and children.

I know one thing, I'll never recite 'sticks and stones' to a child ever again. I'd almost rather someone threw a punch; it's cleaner, less personal, and often easier to rebut. (Not that I'll tell the children that.) I hope everyone encounters good, strong and uplifting words in their day, today and all days.

2 comments:

  1. Jane and her friends seem to have approached this issue by making their own labels for themselves--sometimes self-denigrating, but (I believe) in a jokey way. For example, pictures on Jane's friend's facebook page were captioned "Pictures from the Dorkestra trip"--and for a while (in 5th or 6th grade) the girls called themselves the "Smarticles." Three of Jane's closest friends are Asian and I think in response to the veiled (and not so veiled) comments people make to/about them ("Of course the Oak Ridge math team won; they're all ASIAN") they have begun calling themselves the Asian Mafia. So either being in advanced classes has become cooler than it was, or it's cooler because this is Oak Ridge, land of more PhDs per capita than any other city in the U.S., or this group of wonderful girls has just claimed it and embraced it. Regardless, it gives one hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting . . .Ayelet Waldman talks about co-opting labels in Bad Mother. She notes that while taking potentially (or outright) negative labels and using them subversively to define yourself can reflect an independence from the culture, you are still using cultural references to define yourself. The term "bad mother" is inherently negative, as opposed to 'smarticles' (which seems good and cute) but it's interesting that even when kids search for new and subversive ways to define themselves they are stuck using the same old vocab.

    ReplyDelete