Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My personal tsunami

Have you ever experienced a phase of your child's development when you dreaded waking them up? You know that your "good morning" will be the 8.0 magnitude tremor that sets of a series of tsunamis, breaking the calm of your silent pre-dawn moments. I'm in such a period with my three-year-old son; I tiptoe into his room to soak up the image of his peaceful sleeping figure before I regretfully disturb both of our tranquility with my wake-up call.

Today we experienced five temper tantrums between my "alarm" at 6:45 and preschool drop-off at 8:05. One was over oatmeal, one over the center of a toilet paper roll that my daughter was using for a microphone - and that he desperately wanted. I cannot remember the source of the other three tsunamis that swept over us this morning, but my body still holds the tension and frustration. My chest feels tight when I try to take in the deep breath that *should* calm me down.

In my Just Faith class we studied heroes of non-violence, reading Gandhi, King, and watching movies about the Polish labor movement and the Chilean people's election to remove a dictator. I felt regret that I could not be a part of such a movement, could not follow a great leader. Here again I felt the sting of my "just mom" label. Yet . . . my motherhood profession offers great opportunity to practice peace, calming influence, and defusing tensions. This morning I once again realized that my reactions are the only thing that I can control in a given situation. I certainly cannot control my three-year-old! How difficult it is to speak calming words on the fifth temper tantrum, to control my thoughts and the angry words that threaten to break past my lips. My frustration and my failure to stay peaceful in the storm taste bitter on my tongue, as if I've swallowed some of the salt water in our tsunami.

We don't spank in our household, and use timeouts and loss of privileges effectively with my older children, but my youngest is not quite old enough to understand or to negotiate for what he wants. We only have a short time left in this phase, but I pray that it will be enough time for me to calm the storm - in him and in myself. Perhaps we can channel our passions into a river: water that carries strength, that can carve rock and nurture growth, but that can absorb disturbances with only a faint ripple.

1 comment:

  1. Laura,

    Your last sentence here alone speaks with greater clarity than I've ever mustered in over three decades of (oftentimes profuse!) communication! You are succinct, vivid, and a natural writer. Thank you for sharing yourself with us!

    I love the name you have chosen for this blog, and it speaks to your thoroughness and continued creativity, along with effectively acknowledging the internal conflict many of us face. A picture is worth a thousand words, and I hope one day you will add some photos, such that we readers can enjoy the glint in your eyes - and soul! - as you jump off the digital page in even greater detail.

    You are powerful, inspirational, hopeful, and your profound reflections and keen insights add a brightness and levity to the dimension of your experiences. Your wit is both refreshing for the reader and critical for your continued sanity, and I thank you for letting me be one of the community to walk beside you. What an immense pleasure to travel with you yet again, on this weighty, rewarding, and heartfelt journey! Cheers, and keep up the great work.

    Angie

    PS - if you need any extra toilet paper tubes, I can TOTALLY hook you up. :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete