Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Just Mom

This morning I took a phone call and watched through the window as my three children chased each other, screaming (it was audible in the house) as they fought over a package of rice crackers. Apparently my oldest son had consumed more than his fair share, resulting in general hysterics.

My children are well-fed - to my mind, anyway - and their grasping over snacks truly upsets me, not just because they are loud and embarrass me in front of the neighbors, but also because I see accounts every day of children who die from malnourishment. Yet when I tell my children that boys and girls in Haiti make mud pies to eat because they have nothing else, they look at me blankly. "Where's Haiti?" one asked, with a mouth full of cracker.

The title of this entry - Just Mom - refers back to a class I have been taking for over two years called Just Faith. It addresses social justice issues of hunger, poverty (both local and global), environmental degradation, nonviolence and racism. The title incorporates two pillars of the class: Justice and Faith. I expect that many of the entries in this blog will deal with my struggle to incorporate my new knowledge (and resulting guilt) into a privileged lifestyle and a culture that teaches the importance of material things.

Of course, the flip side of the words "Just Mom" refers to those of us who parent as our sole or main profession. We have been dropped from the roles of legitimate careerists. No business cards, titles, or salaries attach easily to the "mom" or "dad" entry on a resume. (Many) blog entries on that to follow.

Judith Warner wrote an extremely interesting and impactful book entitled, Perfect Madness : Motherhood in the Age of Anxiety (Riverhead Trade, 2006), in which she discusses the struggles of American parents. To paraphrase one of her key points, parents in the US spend huge amounts of time and energy carving a big piece of the ever-shrinking pie for their children. If we all banded together and focused our energies on making the pie bigger, every child and society as a whole would benefit - maybe someday we could all relax.

Something to think about the next time I buy rice crackers.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Laura,
    I love your blog. You write like the professional writer you are! Consider syndication!
    May I comment on "Just Mom"?
    Being "Just Mom" is a luxury today that you will likely outgrow, like I did, and it will be back to being "careerist titled" so who says you can't have it all! (I realize being able to appreciate the benefits of each stage of our lives may come in hindsight.)But despite being a teacher now for 17 years, "Just Mom" is the accomplishment I am most proud of, with Rob, Rick, John and Ron (and their loved ones) being the product of my efforts. With your lovely family, you will know the surviving and thriving in spite of the daily trauma is worth it! Hang in there. Love, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    Great blog, love it so far.I too find myself struggling with the privilege I have (class/race) and my role as being a mom. How do I teach my children about inequalities and poverty in ways that are meaningful to them? Food for thought. Looking forward to following along...

    ReplyDelete