Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Poetically Pleased

Many of you have already seen my email or Facebook posting, so forgive me for the duplication, but I'm excited about my poem being published on  Every Day Poets. It's only the second poem of mine to be published, and the first in several years. I've posted the poem here, too, just for fun. Thank you for supporting this baby step, hopefully the first of many.

A century of empty miles, nowhere to rest
between Las Vegas and Ratón.
The scrub-brush residents here
root tenaciously in the red-orange soil.
New world vultures circle overhead,
beady-eyed, greedy to sound the alarm
on invaders thinking to dig up splintered
bones of stinking cedar or sugar pine.
Enigmatic cloud shadows dash and dot
across the shrugged shoulders of the high mesa
with a silent warning for travelers to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment