Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Collective Nouns

Collective nouns fascinate my family. A pride of peacocks, a charm of hummingbirds - I've listed some of the more enchanting in previous posts. What a thrill to open Reader's Digest yesterday to find a list of "real (and weirdly accurate) names for groups of professionals:
     - a group of librarians is called a shush
     - a group of dentists is called a wince
     - a group of bowlers is called a keg
     - a group of creditors is called a curse"
- Reader's Digest, March 2014, rd.com : From A Compendium of Collective Nouns by Woop Studios (Chronicle Books)

I chortled and immediately made a note to purchase the Compendium of Collective Nouns for myself and my siblings. Then, inspired by the image of my witty sister, Karen, who teaches fourth grade, I wondered what a group of teachers is called? When I googled it (are there any more ugly words than 'googled' or 'blogged'? Both sound like medieval tortures) I found a series of boring, serviceable responses, and then the perfect answer - a group of teachers is called "a quiz" (From Wiktionary.com). How perfect!

So on this crazy Colorado day when the temperature has plummeted from sunny 70s to a windy, snowy, 33 degrees, I salute the teachers who make up my personal quiz: my mom and sister, two sisters-in-law, and the amazing professionals who instruct and care for my kids each day. Between report cards, conferences, and state tests, March is a tough month for teachers, so I'm sending you all chocolate - at least mentally. And perhaps, a copy of the Compendium, just for laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment