Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Sneizures

Yesterday was a challenging day. I'm still fighting off a sinus "thing," so I had sneizures* (combo sneeze and seizure) all morning long. I was late to my appointment in Boulder after a 5-car pileup on I25, though my spiritual director was also late, so I had plenty of time to twiddle my thumbs, check email, ponder my reasons for existence and inhale the stuffy nicotine-scented air of the lobby. After the appointment my spiritual director informed me that OZO coffee had a delicious drink of powdered cacao in hot water, so I cruised over there for a tasty treat - but spilled half of the $3 cup in the parking lot as I fumbled to find my keys. Three dollars for a small cup already seemed extravagant, so I treasured the few expensive sips I had left. Last night I nearly blinded myself with my small overhead reading light, and dreamt of UFO's.

So the day was fraggled, and last night I had to struggle a bit for reasons to be grateful. As always, the reasons appeared as soon as I hunted for them - just like keys in the bottom of my purse. To list a few: House Bill 1202 passed out of the House Education Committee, so the fight is still on to study cost /  benefits of high stakes testing and hopefully to delay the advent of PARCC. Rob took the kids to water polo, where they had a great practice and learned a new offense. The dark chocolate I tasted was good enough to make up for the drink I spilled, and my appointment with Dominie - though shortened - was helpful in many ways. As I wrote these down, I was reminded of Pastor Cindy Bates' concluding sermon at our church  last Sunday. Pastor Cindy said that in her 35 years of serving the church she had seen many difficult moments, but "there was always more light than dark, always more love than hate, more good than bad."  I don't want to trivialize the profundity of this statement by comparing it to a drink of powdered cacao, but sometimes goodness has the edge because of a few sips of bliss. Wishing you some chocolate in your fraggle, more good than bad, more light than dark, more love than hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment