Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Monday, February 10, 2014

Feel Your Presence

I am headed up to the Middle School today to help pass out books. The school has a great initiative led by their enthusiastic new librarian. They purchased copies of I,Q, by Roland Smith, for every student and adult on the campus. The money came from a donation, and the author kindly signed each and every copy. Now the entire population of the school can read the same book and discuss it in every class - just for fun. After reading, the school will collect donations of the gently used books and pass them on to one of their sister schools. A really cool idea!

As we toasted bagels and stirred yogurt this morning, I told my seventh-grader that I would be at her school for ninety minutes today. She paused and mentally ran through her schedule, then responded, "Well, I won't see you, but I'll feel your presence." She gave me a finger high-five and skipped off leaving me with a smile and a bemused expression.  Isn't that what we want for all of our loved ones, that they feel our presence even when we are not physically with them? To treasure each moment that we share and stamp ourselves firmly on their heart while feeling the engraving of their worth on our own. This only happens when we go deep and share vulnerable emotions and pieces of our stories. Her statement obviously has spiritual connotations, as well, and I want to point out to her that mine is not the only presence she can feel. We are all so loved, beyond what we can even comprehend. I'm so glad she knows that love from me, and can only point to an even greater source of strength and comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment