Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Monday, September 30, 2013

Transformation

"The path of descent is the path of transformation. Darkness, failure, relapse, death, and woundedness are our primary teachers, rather than ideas or doctrines." - Richard Rohr, Daily Meditations

I am so glad that many of you enjoyed Karen's letter to legendary plant - owner and mother of three, author JK Rowling. I will incorporate more of Karen's work and humor, in general, on Wild Specific Tangent. Change keeps the heart pounding, after all. From change, we might evolve to transformation, right? All right, that's a leap, but Richard Rohr's words appeared in my email this morning and brought me up short, much like an alarm clock's strident beep at 0 dark thirty. Who wants transformation, if the pathway takes the form of descent? And since when were darkness, failure, relapse, death and woundedness anyone's version of a favorite teacher? They certainly can't be bribed with an apple; I might have to call in a substitute.

After a descent of more than twelve months' duration, I might cautiously agree that transformation may be happening to me / within me, but I need to go on record as saying I did not like it at all. If I got to choose whether or not to be transformed, I would not have chosen this path. Naivete and good times seem preferable. I've been told that in a few years (after the pain has gone and memories dimmed) I might appreciate the transformational power of the illness, but I don't have that perspective yet.  Guess it's a good thing we don't get to choose, because right now I would go with my horoscope: "Kick up your heels and don't worry about tomorrow."  

No comments:

Post a Comment