Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Emotionally Neutral

So the ribs are on the barbeque, the gluten-free, dairy-free blondies are in the oven for tomorrow's bake sale, Daniel's in the kitchen sink doing experiments with water and soap all over the counter and Aden is locked in the bathroom. At last viewing, William was on the computer NOT doing homework and I am still wearing the workout clothes from much, much earlier in the day. Just a few more notes: I submitted my first homework assignment for the poetry class incorrectly, I have not practiced my guitar today, and William is so double-booked that he won't make it back to water polo for weeks. Yuck and double yuck.

I keep scrambling to attain something that is new and different - emotional neutrality. Today in yoga class our teacher read her usual quote from a daily positive-thinking book, and it included a list of things we need to be successful in all endeavors. I forgot everything else on the list when I heard "you need to be emotionally neutral." The concept is almost beyond me, but oddly, I can absolutely see how this would change my world. Made a mistake? Fix it and move on. No guilt, shame or anger attached. Missing water polo practice? We're doing the best we can and will try to reduce over-scheduling in the future. Wrote a bad blog entry? Learn from the experience and write a better one tomorrow.

Amazing. Now, if you have any guidelines as to how to achieve emotional neutrality, I'm all ears . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment