Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Friday, March 22, 2013

Thanksgiving before Easter

"I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,
I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
I will be glad and exult in you;
I will sing praise to your name, O most High."
 - Psalm 9:1 - 2

A week ago I decided to write down the miraculous events that have occurred in the past year of illness, surgery, and overall struggle. The list is long - over three handwritten pages. Many friends / guardian angels stepped in to help for the day(s) or week(s) that they could spare, and when they had to leave others quickly stepped in to take their place, often from unlikely sources. Over four months' worth of Monday, Wednesday and Friday meals were delivered, carefully meeting strict dietary guidelines and providing food not only for us, but for relatives who were staying to care for us. Speaking of relatives, many came on short notice to keep the house running and to care for me, providing the blessing of their presence, hard work, and deeper relationships with each.

I was still very ill at the beginning of January, when we learned that Rob would need micro-fracture surgery on his knee and would need six weeks recovery with no weight on the right leg. I was doubtful that this surgery could occur when scheduled, given my precarious state and the fact that relatives had their own health and work issues at this time. Miraculously, I was well enough  - on the very day of his surgery and not before - to drive him there and care for him as he recovered.

Yesterday we received the hard news that our insurance company, Cigna, had denied our appeal on the hospital bill that I incurred last fall.  It was a hard blow, as the amount is large, and we had hoped that they would cover at least part. This morning we had a plumbing disaster and had to call a plumber for $500 worth of services and repair. In the midst of writing my name for the receipt on the credit card, I received a text from Rob that our vested stock sold. He had put in a sell order two months ago, to act if the stock equaled its six-month high. It has been low for two months, three dollars under that price. And yet today, the day after the letter, in the middle of plumbing repairs, I received the news that it sold.

Miracles abound, and we are so grateful. SO grateful. Thank you to all of our friends and families who have constituted the miracles, and who have brought the promise of hope. And to God, the great indwelling spirit, we give thanks with full hearts for wonderful deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment