Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Monday, March 22, 2021

Monday Confessions

I've been mostly awake since 3 am when the snowplow cruised down our side street, throwing out it's bright red and white lights. It was snowing when I went to bed, and the forecast called for anywhere from 2 - 6 inches overnight. Uncertain snowfall complicates my Monday morning coaching gig. 

Not knowing whether I would be outside or inside, or whether I should cancel entirely, my stress level penetrated my dreamscape. In my nightmare, I was chewing on my mask in the middle of CostCo, horrifying surrounding shoppers and my own subconscious ('you weren't wearing the mask?!'). In reality I was just chomping on my bite guard, but this panicked pre-dawn wakeup kept me hyped on adrenaline until it was time to leave for the pool just before 6:00.

The downward cascade of actions resulting from lack of sleep:

- Plugging in my race-day psyche music just to summon energy to run errands and get my hair cut. The pounding beat of Evanescence certainly surprised the nice older lady parked next to me at the salon.

- "Borrowing" my son's Pre-workout powder to survive my own swim practice. That was my fourth shot of caffeine, which combined nicely with the bass of my soundtrack to give me intense jitters and make it difficult to tie my sneakers.

- Smuggling my green avocolada smoothie into the house inside of my swim bag so the boys couldn't see it.  I could rationalize one special drink for lunch but didn't want to spend the extra $20 for everyone else to get one, too. As a result, I had to finish it in my bedroom, but I thought the subterfuge worthwhile.

What mother smuggles a drink into the house under a wet towel so her sons don't notice? This one. I'm all out of excuses. The boys probably won't ever read this blog post, so if you don't tell, my secret is safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment