Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Friday, May 1, 2020

Happy Birthday, Mom! (and Dad)

May Day is also my mother's birthday, so May 1st has always felt like a double celebration,  launching us into the spring month of planting and flowers with a grateful eye to Mom (and now Nana, too). I'm so thankful that Mom has been safely ensconced in the Northern California home of my youngest brother and his wife since Governor Gavin Newsom issued his "stay in place" order, over a month ago. Since Mom reads my blog (thanks, Mom!) I wanted to post something celebratory today.

When I think of growing up with Mom I think of laughter, artsy crafting projects, playing outside at the park while she and Dad hit the tennis ball, homemade strawberry-rhubarb pie, mint in our lemonade, lullabies, flowers and sunshine. I think of needs met, confidences shared, independence granted and bountiful supplies of love and understanding. Mom has the special gift of making all her children (five of us) feel like we're the favorite.

Mom's loving spirit covers our heads in warm knit caps, our beds in crocheted blankets and special quilts. Her lovely handwriting fills birthday cards and thank you notes with warm expressions and her texts are full of hearts and happy emojis. In this time of uncertainty she keeps supporting us with those texts and Zoom calls, exhorting us all to be strong and telling us "this too shall pass."

We love you, Mom.  We celebrate you on this special day, and though we know it's a challenging time for many reasons, we hope you feel the love and gratitude that floats your way from across the country. Thousands of heart emojis to you and Happy Birthday!!

Post Script: May 3

Today is my father's birthday, the first one we're celebrating after his death. It's a hard day in which we all feel the loss of his presence, even though we're grateful we could all be with him at home when he died. That December experience feels like it was years and lifetimes ago, and my heart goes out to all of those who can't be with their loved ones now.

Aden and I went on a long bike ride this morning and as I dodged spring butterflies and rode through patches of scent from blooming trees, I remembered my Dad leading my brother and I on long bike rides into Ann Arbor. We always concluded with a Baskin Robbins ice cream, which I missed today.

Mom texted us with a lovely message this morning. She said the shining white light of the moon woke her in the early morning and she felt sure that Dad put it right in her window to remind us all that he loves us to the moon and back. Again, Mom's strength and loving support help buoy our spirits on a hard day, and reminds us to be grateful for what we had, and have.





No comments:

Post a Comment