Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Sunday, April 5, 2020

An Oddly Familiar Holy Week

It's the beginning of another new and different week in our world. I'm struck by how different Palm Sunday and Easter look to all of us this year, especially to the children. Thinking of our previous neighborhood egg hunts,  I made a wreath out of our old plastic eggs and hung it near the garage so all of the local littles can see it on their walks, bikes and big wheel rides. 

But at times I am more struck by the differences than I am by what can be created new. I dwell on what used to pass as normal and now seems far away. I miss Easter lilies and green palms, miss the choir and trumpets at church. My Sunday School students are sheltering in place with their families, missing their friends and the 6am youth Easter service.

Last week, at one of these lower points, I received my regular "Eco-Justice Notes" email from Rev. Peter Sawtell (Peter's website is here: Eco-Justice). The following quote from last week's "Notes" just reached out and grabbed my attention, turning my ruminative thoughts in a new direction:

"For Easter, too, the pews will not be packed. How do we make sense of the greatest festival of the church year when we cannot gather together? The Episcopal bishop of Colorado wrote to her diocese, "I am reminded that when the first Easter happened, the disciples were holed up, hiding in fear for their lives and Resurrection happened!" We share in a different kind of Easter experience when we're alone and afraid."

How affirming that we're one with the first Christians during this strange time, possibly more aligned with Holy Week than we've ever been before. In a lonely and strange period when we're afraid, we are in precisely the time when Jesus says to his disciples, "I am the Resurrection and the Life." Hoping we can all realize that we're not alone, that we can get through the tough days ahead, and find the new life that awaits on the other side.

Stay well and safe.
xoxo
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment