Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Longest Day

Today has been a string of sleeping teens who won't wake, broken bicycles, late appointments and near-tears-reaching-for-a-hankie moments. My brain liquefied and drizzled out through my ears and I think the best blog entry format will be short poetry, for today and the foreseeable future.

Here's one I wrote at the library during Daniel's math tutoring session. I scribbled it on a piece of paper pulled from the recycle bin because I left my backpack at home. (See previous paragraph). Perhaps the lines will partially explain my addled state.

Longest Day

Dizzy, tipsy,
Dark circles drooping
From runny eyes weeping
Sunscreen stings and sleepless nights.
Pencil red around the white
Light explodes early startling
Robins, wrens and doves mourning
Loss of night as hooting
Gives way to cackle-chatter, gossipy
Glorious dawn song.
Sly husband steals sheets, covers
Face against cat scratching, nails sliding,
Slipping down bedroom door.
Tiptoe downstairs, cradle quiet
Stillness, kitty crunching,
Settle in for longest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment