Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Monday, March 21, 2016

To Build a Platform

I have about nine months left in my masters degree program, during which time I want to work hard on my writing, submit a number of pieces, embrace a few acceptances amidst the rejections and write a capstone (or thesis) paper.  The writing is hard work and I know I am not a natural, but I don't mind multiple drafts and long hours. What perturbs me is the need for an "authorial platform" - the general requirement that an author demonstrates visibility and expertise in a field (also, an audience which will buy her book) before an agent or publisher will consider her viable.

My only platform right now is this blog, which attracts a small but loving (and much appreciated!) audience. I claim no expertise and very little visibility through this medium, and I know why I haven't climbed the charts of the blogosphere - I hold back.  I am reluctant to expose any real truths about my children, my parents, my siblings, or my husband. I'm happy to rat out myself in most areas, but draw the veil discretely over others.  Without raw honesty, I can't hope to attract a huge audience.

So I am not sure what to do. I would like to increase readership and comments / questions, but don't want to write a shocking truth that might turn around and bite my family in the butt. (See, even there my fingers forced me to type "butt" instead of the more satisfying "ass."  I'm just not meant to be famous.)  I'm on the fence, with fenceposts sticking into soft tissue that would rather not be stuck.  Please weigh in if you have thoughts or comments, or if you are just waiting for me to lift the veil.

No comments:

Post a Comment