Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Monday, June 10, 2013

Mumford & Sons in Taos

How can I possibly describe the concert or how I feel about this band? The concert was absolutely, ****ing amazing, and the road trip with girlfriends felt like a great adventure, that I felt so grateful to be able to take! The Mumford& Sons concert in Taos was the biggest event that the town had ever seen. With 5,000 residents and a police force of 24, the town went into high gear to welcome 8,000 ticket holders and up to 3,000 more visitors - you could hear the music from every restaurant, store, perch in town!

We waited in line through a driving thunderstorm that brought hail, wind and rain, though fortunately we were under a wooden overhang that protected us from the worst. Our fellow concert-goers were easy to talk to; a couple from Albuquerque, a high school sophomore with goals to attend Georgetown and Harvard and then to make it big in politics, a mother and daughter from Durango and Boulder, respectively, and senior Boy Scouts on their way across country to a camp at Philmont.

We got into the tree-filled park an hour late, due to the weather, and waited somewhat impatiently through two warm-up bands until M&S hit the stage at 10pm. It was cool, with mist leftover from the rainstorm, and the instrumentals and vocals were amazing, not to mention the guest appearance by Robert Mirabal, a chief of the Taos/Pueblo Indian Tribe. He played a Native American flute to open the show, and joined Mumford on Awake My Soul and I Will Wait. The eerie, penetrating sounds of the flute were a delicious accompaniment to the tunes that we loved, and the orange, yellow and green lights playing out over the crowd fit perfectly.

"Was it worth the four-hour drive?" I was asked the next day. Still in a stupor from lack of sleep, I could only reply, "hell, yes!"  I thank Heather for planning the weekend and driving the whole way, and Heidi for joining us on the trip. I am thankful to be on the road again, welcoming music into my life and the life of friends and family. I might still be catching up on sleep but my soul is definitely awake!

1 comment: