Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cranes Take Flight

I offer a second update to our school's relief efforts on behalf of Japanese children as our fundraiser ended last week. Our elementary school raised $1884.50 and folded over 1700 cranes - a magnificent outpouring by the children and their families, as well as by the teachers and staff at the school. I was close to tears many times during the week as children brought ziploc bags full of pennies (oh, so hard to count, but certainly cherished!) and crumpled dollar bills from the inner recesses of their piggy banks. Parents wrote checks, generously passed on receiving change, and waited patiently while their offspring spent long minutes selecting the perfect crane. I hope the children - especially the fourth graders who helped to orchestrate the project - feel empowered to help people in distress, whether they are far away or close at hand. I know I feel much more energetic after participating.

To add to the good news, my sister writes that her school in southern California has also folded over 1,000 cranes - and her class alone has folded 500. Their elementary school has raised over $2,000 for Japanese children. I know that we feel united in our efforts and buoyed by the responses in both of our communities. I hope we can do many similar projects together in the future.

My daughter offered this concise opinion of the Crane Project: "It was good." When asked to elaborate she said that she liked selling the cranes the best, though I thought she showed more passion as a teacher of the smaller children (see picture at right). She was thrilled at the kind thank you note from her teacher, who was instrumental in getting this project accomplished, but I could tell that her joy came from winning the approval of the teacher, whom she loves, rather than from completing the act of service. That is fine, I think love is grand motivation, and still hope that the seeds of service are planted somewhere in her consciousness. I want my children to know that helping people is not only possible, but necessary, and gives great joy.

If you want to read about our project online, here is a link: http://denver.yourhub.com/Centennial/Stories/News/Nonprofit/Story~971669.aspx .

No comments:

Post a Comment