Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Monday, December 11, 2017

Truisms from Target

We were in Target yesterday, collecting our usual widespread and various assortment of items (candles, packaged rice, monogrammed mugs, baseball cards), when I overheard this conversation:

Adorable dark-haired child, "What should we get Mommy?"

Similarly dark-haired daddy, "I know what we should do! We should make a coupon book. You know, when each of us promises to do something for Mommy."

"Like what?"  Suspicion colored the boy's voice.

"You know, like do dishes, or put away your toys, or clean your room...."

"Ugh, no, that's a terrible idea!"

I dove into the sheets and bedspread aisle to hide my chuckles, Aden following. We then found Daniel in the toy section, comfortably loaded up with puzzles and Hot Wheels.

"I've got everything!" He announced cheerfully.

"Did you buy for your Dad and your brother?"

"Nope. I spent all my money on me!"

And thus the pickle of Christmas.  How do we teach them to love giving, when - in a child' eyes - it's all about getting?  I know one thing, the secret's not in the aisles of Target, though you can find just about anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment