Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Friday, August 28, 2015

A Mom's Battle Against Sugar

I'm supposed to be "off" sugar, which is more difficult than getting my teenagers up in the early morning. The sweet stuff is in everything from catchup (can't eat it) to tea to tacos (well, not so much in tacos but I was looking for alliteration).  As I struggle to keep sugar out of the house and out of my mouth, the kids and Rob are dragged into the fray - not a lot around to eat, and lots of begging to buy more. Here's a poem I wrote this summer in honor of the Dravenstott war on sugar:


Sugar, the Enemy


Sticky-spray confections at swim meets,
Popsicles at the ice-cream truck,
Syrup on French toast golden in the pan,
Washed down with apple juice from a tin can.

Youth’s energy squared by Splenda,
Attention deficits blasted by corn syrup,
Wild gazes snagged by adverts and TV games,
Ability to focus gone up in flames.

Frenetics fueled by toxins addictive as cocaine,
Point to the proof and be called insane.
Cower at the store if you say “not today,”
Be clipped with the cart if you get in the way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment