Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Today's Day

Thanksgiving Day approaches and even though I do not pride myself on my cooking, I am thrilled to fill the kitchen with cans of pumpkin, sweet potatoes, apples and cranberries. The week feels festive due to the fresh chill in the air, the scuddy grey clouds, and the three days of vacation starting tomorrow. Folks are getting ready to see friends and family and turkey trots, football games, and ice skating dates have been organized. Life feels more fun and more full of potential.

But we could, theoretically, live like this much of the time. We don't need a "Mother's Day" to celebrate our mothers, a "Father's Day" to remember our fathers, or a Thanksgiving Day to remind us to give thanks. These are things we can do all of the time, though we might not have a Hallmark card or special menu attached. Thich Nhat Hanh mentions the idea of "Today's Day" in your true home, where he writes, "Why not celebrate a day when we can live happily in the present moment all day long?"

Right now, in this moment, we live and breathe, we love and are loved. Though we would go broke and pass out from exhaustion if we tried to have the trappings of the holidays on every day, we can bring the sense of happiness and fullness to each moment Today. I am so happy that the sun is back out, that my washing machine works, that I'm well enough to shop and cook, that my kids are young and still like me. Enjoy Today's Day - there are plenty more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment