Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Monday, November 25, 2013

Gratitude for a New Outlook

We heard a good sermon yesterday, and Pastor Gary included in his text an anecdote from a visit that he and his wife paid to the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs. They had a kind porter named Jack, who engaged Gary in conversation about life as a pastor and author focusing on the work of the Spirit in the world. Jack, holding the view of many of us, I'm afraid, said "Isn't it hard to write about faith when so many bad things happen in the world? They're on TV all the time, in the newspapers - everywhere!" Gary replied, "I actually think that people are mostly good, kind and loving - all over the world. The reason negative events make news is partly because we are always shocked that people could commit such acts - and we're always shocked  because our 'normal' state is to be good, kind and loving."

Apparently Jack really liked that perspective and they talked several more times over Gary and Kim's stay. I also like Gary's perspective and I am grateful for Gary's story. In this Thanksgiving week I am also thankful for the good, kind, and loving people in my own life and the daily acts of kindness that they "commit".

2 comments:

  1. Made me think of your and Rob's last visit to the Broadmoor, when you were too ill to enjoy it. I am thankful you are so much better. You'll have to celebrate by going back there and trying again. Love, C

    ReplyDelete