Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Progenitor Art and Literary Journal, Hooray!

Last night I had the honor and privilege of reading from my story, "The Things They Leave Behind" at the Progenitor launch party. The Arapahoe Community College students and their advisers put together a beautiful journal, and I hope Aden and Daniel appreciated all of the hard work and talent that the students demonstrated.

I was happy to have the kids there to watch me read; it was my first 'reading' for an audience other than my classmates or family. The further I get along this writing journey, the more I realize two things: 1. I love it, and 2. I need to work harder.

Reading the really good stuff - fiction, non-fiction, young adult, journalism - makes me realize that I've been not only busy but intellectually lazy in my pursuit of writing.   After exposure to some real talent, I think that I can and must do better. I don't have the genius, but I can get farther with some old-fashioned elbow grease.

Speaking of hard work and talent, here's the link to the Progenitor online: writerstudio.wix.com/progenitor2016, and here's the link to my story, which is based on several border trips I have taken with friends: http://writerstudio.wix.com/progenitor2016#!the-things-they-leave-behind/bzuuu. The part about the immigrants revealing themselves to help a group of strangers . . . is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment