Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Pride Goeth Before . . .

Reviewing my last two entries about - first - pride in my body's ability to perform, and second - dismay over the failure of my hip and knee to work together, a familiar phrase comes to mind. It goes somewhat like this: pride goeth before you trip and landeth on your ass.  I still sport a bump like a "third knee" on the left side of my left leg - like a third nipple and just about as welcome. The constant ache has taken its toll on my sleep and my temper and I'm constantly juggling the options of the chiropractor, the PT and the orthopedist. It doesn't help that we have new insurance and I don't know which options are best, i.e. least expensive.

In other ironic news, we turned on our solar panels just before a walloping spring snowstorm dumped eighteen inches of the white stuff on our roof. A representative from Solar City called and left an urgent voicemail asking me to check the inverter and call him to ascertain why the panels were not producing energy. When this was followed by an even more urgent email I broke down and called the guy back to explain that our panels were covered in heavy spring snow. Apparently Californians hadn't heard that was a possibility in April.  The young man paused and said, "Well, yes, that would do it. Why don't you call back when it melts." Indeed.

As I drive carpools and errand routes this week I mourn the loss of tree branches, spring flowers, and landscaping.The resilience of some of the trees and a few hardy tulips should be my focus; the  metaphor of bouncing back and moving on should be at the top of mind. Instead I feel weighted by what was broken and lost - the heavy limbs that will be carted away by city maintenance workers and the hard work remaining to the maimed trees. I am a maimed tree, myself, unsure of what work to do to fix my lagging branch or of when it's going to bounce back.

No comments:

Post a Comment