Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Monday, April 20, 2015

South Africa, Anyone?

So we went to the Youth Auction at church last night, intending to bid on a photography session, some 'Which wich' gift cards, and a John Elway or Dwight Schrute bobblehead. We exited the church building three hours later carrying the above items and a travel certificate for a six-night stay in Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa. You read me right - South Africa. As in rhinos, elephants, giraffes and Hemingway tents, as in a once-in-a-lifetime trip that costs much more than we usually spend on a whim. And before all my readers start pointing the finger at crazy / whimsical / semi-hysteric Laura, let me inform you that Rob was the one with the paddle, the one to match bids with another African-bound churchgoer, the one who replied, "No" when I asked, "Can you believe that just happened?"

I do love that about my husband - that such a dependable, responsible, long-term planner can suddenly decide that a bargain trip to Africa is an entirely reasonable purchase. I also love that it will be just the two of us on this heretofore-unplanned jaunt across the Atlantic, and that we have two years to plan and use the travel certificate.  As I told one of our church elders as we staggered out of Fellowship Hall (in an admittedly semi-hysterical fashion), "you never know what will happen when you show up at church."  Stay tuned for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment